Mentoring Code of Conduct
By accessing or using the OSL mentoring services, and thereby becoming a part of this community, you are agreeing to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Participants agree not to engage in any tortious or criminal activity and if you do engage in such activity, you understand that you are fully responsible to the fullest extent of the law and that you will retain your own legal counsel at your own expense, pay and all necessary fines and other costs and agree to hold OSL harmless. OSL is further indemnified for any actions that you take outside the scope of your contract and mentorship.
Participation is voluntary and participants shall fully indemnify, hold harmless and defend (collectively “indemnify” and “indemnification”) OSL and its staff or members from and against all claims, demands, actions, suits, damages, liabilities, losses, settlements, judgments, costs and expenses (including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs), whether or not involving a third party claim, which arise out of or relate to (1) any breach of any representation or warranty of OSL contained in this Agreement, (2) any breach or violation of any covenant or other obligation or duty of OSL under this Agreement or under applicable law, (3) (4) (5)] [other enumerated categories of claims and losses], in each case whether or not caused by the negligence of OSL or any other Indemnified Party and whether or not the relevant Claim has merit.
Mentors and Mentees
As a participant in the mentoring community, you agree to:
- Treat others within the mentoring community with respect.
- Put an honest effort and commit sufficient time towards each mentoring relationship established.
- Not promote goods or services from sources in which you have a financial or personal interest.
- Not accept fees or commissions.
- Represent oneself honestly without fake identities or aliases.
- Recognize the diversity of the OSL community and respect the variety of cultural norms, beliefs, practices, and values it contains.
As a mentor within the community, you agree to:
- Not use any ideas, products or materials that a mentee has, or may develop, to further your own business or financial interests.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all ideas, products or materials that have been entrusted to you by your mentee.
- Encourage your mentee to maintain the highest ethical standards in their works.
- Maintain a high standard of personal and professional conduct with your mentee. Demonstrates empathy without making the mentee feel uncomfortable.
- Always communicate in a truthful manner.
- Support the goals of your mentee and help him/her set achievable goals.
- Avoid the intent or appearance of unethical or compromising practice in relationships, actions and communications.
- Refer your mentee to the mentoring program administrator for issues or questions for which you feel unqualified.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you find any part of the guidelines unclear or confusing.
- Both the mentor and the mentee have great responsibility to maintain and respect the confidentiality of all the information imparted during the mentoring relationship as they may hear sensitive and personal information. However, if such information is dangerous or illegal, an appropriate approach for the mentor is to encourage the mentee to take appropriate action themselves.
As a mentee within our community, you agree to:
- Put effort and energy into getting matched with a mentor.
- Create relevant, specific, detailed, and clear mentoring relationship.
- Maintain the confidentiality of your mentoring relationship.
- Build proactively your mentoring relationship.
- Communicate regularly and openly with your mentor.
- Honor your commitment to your mentor and to your learning process.
- Complete any tasks agreed upon between your mentor and yourself.
- Hold all sensitive information provided through your mentoring relationship in strict confidence.